Grant to assist with work at Mary Washington Monument
The Richmond-based Mary Morton Parsons Foundation has agreed to generously support efforts to enhance the Mary Washington Monument property in Fredericksburg.
The foundation will match, up to $100,000, all gifts to Washington Heritage Museums toward the planned improvements at the Mary Washington Lodge and Monument at 1500 Washington Avenue. It is the largest matching grant opportunity in Washington Heritage Museums’ history.
Washington Heritage Museums took over ownership of the property from the City of Fredericksburg this year and has already made noticeable exterior improvements by beautifying the landscape of the grounds. Additional planned improvements include:
- Increased site access through new and improved pathways
- Stabilization of eroding slopes
- Creation of new and improved exterior site interpretation
- Introduction of a small museum/visitor center within the Caretaker’s Lodge
- Incorporation of functional office space for Washington Heritage Museums administrative staff
- Provision for increased safety and security of the grounds
- Improvements to energy consumption at the site through efficient HVAC and lighting